Our Continuing Mission
Our mission remains to provide the most comprehensive education possible, empowering families to make the best decisions for themselves, their babies, and their families. It is in this role, as a source of unbiased, consumer-based and evidence-based information on pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and early parenting, that we continue to be a trusted resource to our community.
A Unique Approach
- The laboring woman is the center of the birthing environment and we strive to give you confidence in your ability to give birth.
- We believe that women are best prepared for childbirth by learning and practicing a wide range of comfort measures. Rather than limiting you to one or two philosophies, we teach many tools for comfort, so that you can use what works best for you.
- We emphasize the role of the labor support team - which can include spouses, relatives, friends, doulas, and care providers. A solid labor team is built on love, respect, and knowledge.
- We offer continual support throughout the experiences of pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and parenting.
Small, Personalized Classes
Our classes are currently limited to 6 couples. Our clients appreciate the personal attention, informal discussion, and opportunities to make new friends enhanced by our small class size. We provide a non-judgmental environment of support and respect and invite clients to discuss the powerful feelings which accompany the upcoming birth and the journey into early parenthood.
Support people are active participants in our classes in preparation for their role in the labor and birth environment.
History of FCEA
Foothills Childbirth Education Association, a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, was formed in 1968 by a group of local families who were not satisfied with the information they were getting regarding their choices for childbirth, and they decided to do something to change the birth culture.
FCEA was also the first organization providing doula (labor support) services in the area. While the benefits of using a doula are now widely respected and understood, this hasn't always been the case. We started offering support to families before the term "doula" was defined. We have been honored to support hundreds of families as they welcomed their babies into the world.
- As a non-profit organization, we never turn anyone away based on their ability to pay for our services.
- We have scholarship funds available for those in need.
- We welcome tax deductible donations for our scholarship fund. Please remember us for your year-end giving.
- We do not discriminate against anyone on any basis.
We are Childbirth Educators, well-respected for our ability to cater to the family's physical, social, and psychological experience of birth. We require our instructors to complete the FCEA certification program, which requires over a year of comprehensive and rigorous training.